birding-aus

Chestnut Teal/ Black Duck Hybrid

To: <>
Subject: Chestnut Teal/ Black Duck Hybrid
From: "John Barkla" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 17:49:47 +1000
Last weekend I visited the Belmont Common (in Victoria on the Bellarine Peninsula, near Geelong for birders who may not know it) with my wife Gabrielle, my father Jack and Fred Smith.  We birded from the hide without seeing anything of particular note and then went for a short walk through the adjacent golf course.  The course was flooded recently and there are some more or less permanent and some ephemeral wetland areas.  On one of these - close to the Club House and on your right as you enter the golf course - we saw a male Chestnut Teal with a presumably female Pacific Black Duck and 3 ducklings.  On the same pond but standing off from the family group was an adult duck that was initially dismissed as a Black Duck, but on closer inspection was seen to be a hybrid.  We presumed that it was from a previous brood from the same pair.  The adult hybrid was the size of a Black Duck, but was darker.  It was particularly dark in the face, but not green, and with some semblance of the Black Duck striping.  The neck and breast pattern was similar to a male Chestnut Teal, with clear demarcation between the neck and breast colour.  The sex was not determined, but the bird had some features of a male Chestnut Teal.  The body colour, in particular, was the same (or similar) dark brown colour.

We were all aware of many duck species that hybridise in captivity and some that hybridise in the wild.  None of us was aware of any previous record of wild Chestnut Teal and Black Ducks hybridising.  Certainly we have not seen it.

As my work has precluded me from searching the literature (I might find the time to check HANZAB this weekend), I thought I would ask if anyone else is aware of these two species experiencing nuptial bliss.  Can anyone enlighten me?

John Barkla
============================================================================= Confidentiality/Limited Liability Statement This e-mail (and any files transmitted with it) is confidential and intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient (or the person responsible for delivering e-mails to the intended recipient), then you have received this e-mail in error and any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail and its file attachments is prohibited. Please: - · notify RELEVANT STOCKFORD ENTITY immediately by reply e-mail · delete the misdirected e-mail from your system; and · destroy any copies you have made of it. Any views expressed in this e-mail are the views of the sender, unless they are specifically stated to be the views of RELEVANT STOCKFORD ENTITY. Before opening or using this e-mail and attachments, please scan them for viruses and defects. We do not accept any liability for loss or damage which may arise from your receipt of this e-mail. Our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Contact Details if not above : ph: 03 9940 0400 fax: 03 9940 0499 ============================================================================= Birding-Aus is on the Web at www.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/home/birding/index.html To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message "unsubscribe birding-aus" (no quotes, no Subject line) to