birding-aus

Bird joke from the USA ..... well it's flyday here eh :^D

Subject: Bird joke from the USA ..... well it's flyday here eh :^D
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 17:34:38 -0700 (PDT)
G'day Everyone,

I thought I should try and send some mirth to say
thank you to all, sadly I lost one of the three very
young noisy miners last night? have no idea why it
passed on? told by members on this list it can and
does happen they just sort of give up for no known
reason? despite warmth, good tucker, and the darkness
of a simulated parent? I feel sad it's the first one
in ages that I have had leave me this way.

Many thanks for the mass of email help on young NM
diet

Anyway the joke I hope you like? is from Sid and
Sharon Genaux the wombat wobblers back in the good
olde US of Hay :^D
This is a good joke based on a pun in the US but I
don't know if it works in "Strine".

Two robins were sitting in a local tree. "I'm really
hungry," said the first. "Me, too," agreed the second
bird . "Let's fly down and do lunch."

They coasted to the ground and found a nice plat of
newly plowed earth that was just full of worms. They
ate and ate and ate 'til they could eat no more ...
"I'm so full I don't think I can fly back up to the
trees," said one bird. "Me either. Let's just lie back
here and take in the warm sun, okay". "O.K.!" said the
bird. So they plopped down, just laying and basking in
the sun. But no sooner than they had fallen asleep,
when an 'ole bobcat snuck up on them and gobbled both
them up fast as could be.

As the bobcat sat lickin' his face after the sweet
meal, he smiled and thought to himself ... I just love
Baskin' Robins.

Baskin Robbins is a nationwide chain of ice cream
shops in the US. I don't remember seeing any of them
in Australia.

By the way, the only thing revolting about the
bookcase is my typing skill in describing it. It will
be a REVOLVING bookcase with two shelves on each side
and a flat top which will be used as a small table or
stand
between two chairs in the living room area of the
motorhome. It is set up so the shelved books form a
square with no wasted space in the middle. I can't
figure out how to describe it and can't draw it on
e-mail. Maybe you have seen one. Sid has a friend who
is a woodworker who may be able to make one for us and
also convert the counter into a bookcase and computer
desk for us. I am lined up to do at least 5 programs
with my Australia slides at local clubs. I will do two
programs for Allegany County Bird Club, one for
Cattaraugus County Bird Club (the county next to
ours), one for a women's club in Alfred, and one for a
garden club in Hornell. I am also supposed to do one
for the Scio Library, but they haven't set a date for
that yet.

There is a possibility that I could do two more: one
for a bird club at the Roger Tory Peterson Institute
in Jamestown and one for a women's club in Hornell.
Most of these are for free or maybe they will pass the
hat for enough money for petrol but the women's club
in Hornell pays their speakers $100. The five programs
I have booked to do all have different audience
interests so I won't be doing exactly the same program
for any of them. Of course, the two bird clubs want
the same type of program, but one of them is giving me
two nights to present the whole trip and I have to
condense that down to one night for the other club.

We are spreading the word about how great Australia is
to visit. Sid and I had dinner and spent an evening
talking to a couple from our bird club who are
considering going to Australia and New Zealand for 5
weeks in February and March. Also, I have answered a
number for requests for information from birders on
BIRDCHAT, our equivalent to birding-Aus. We hope the
slide programs might spark someone's interest in
traveling in Australia too.

When we get the motor home we will send you some
pictures of it and the Red Roo. We are really excited
about getting ready to go on the road here in the US.
Right now, I have a longer life list of Australian
birds than I do of North American birds (only by 6
species), but once we begin traveling all over the US
like we did in Oz, that will change.

Well, I'd better quit for now. Say "Hi" to Lee, Eggy,
and the rest of your "children" and to all of our
Australian friends.

I sent the joke to Hilary at her yahoo address. Sid
sends his regards, too you and everyone up there
downunder. :-]

Hugs to all,
Sharon
Sid and Sharon Genaux