birding-aus

Dubai RFI

To: "'Neville Pamment'" <>,
Subject: Dubai RFI
From: "Billinghurst, David (CRTS)" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 01:42:52 -0000
I have been to Dubai for a week or so every couple of years and on my last
trip I did a few hours birding.  I'm definitely not an expert.  Check the
birding-aus archives for July 1998 for the advise I got.

Pottering around the parks was quite interesting, and there are flamingos
and other waterbirds in the Dubai creek a few km out of town.  If you travel
further afield there is quite a lot to see. Transport may be an issue.  I
have always had a car.  There are one or two people who offer guiding
services, which would be worth investigating.

A number of the Euorpean field guides provide reasonable coverage of the
UAE.  I used Heinzel, Fitter and Parslow (spelling?).

In Dubai I bought "The birds of the United Arab Emirates" by Colin
Richardson, which has some mud maps of good birding sites.   Could be hard
to find a copy.  I got mine by contacting the author to find out where it
was sold.  If your friend is in Melbourne I may be able to lend them my
copy.

(Mr) David Billinghurst
Comalco Research Centre
PO Box 316, Thomastown, Vic, Australia, 3074
Phone:  +61 3 9469 0642
FAX:    +61 3 9462 2700