birding-aus

Abrolhos Island Trip Nov 22nd

Subject: Abrolhos Island Trip Nov 22nd
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 21:26:20 +0800

I have organised a boat trip to the Abrolhos Islands from Geraldton for myself and two friends for Thursday November 22nd. The problem is that they want a minimum of 6 people for the trip (max 24 people)! The cost for the day is $165 each (depart Geraldton at 6am and return about 5:30pm).

So is anyone else interested in seeing Lesser Noddy, and 10,000s of breeding terns (Lesser Noddy, Common Noddy, Sooty, Bridled, Roseate, Crested, Caspian, Fairy), etc.... Chance of Little Shearwater, White-faced Storm-Petrel, etc.

I need to know numbers by the end of August.

I believe that we will get dropped ashore on Pelsaert Island for 3 to 5 hours. It is about a 2.5 hour boat trip from Geraldton.

This will be part of a trip from Perth (Sunday 17th) to Kalbarri to Carnarvon (2 nights) to Geraldton (2 nights) to Perth (Friday 23rd). Apart from the Lesser Noddy, we are looking for Rufous (Western) Fieldwren, Slender-billed (Samphire) Thornbill, Sanderling, small chance of a rare gull (Franklin's a chance), or a rare wader (Pin-tailed Snipe a small chance), etc. We will certainly also see Chiming Wedgebill, Rufous Fieldwren (other race), Redthroat, Western Corella, Short-billed Black-Cockatoo, waders (sand plovers, knots, etc). Also good chances of Dusky Gerygone, Australian Spotted Crake, Mulga Parrot, Collared Kingfisher, White-fronted Honeyeater, Pied Honeyeater, Black Honeyeater, Orange Chat, etc.

I don't have any room in my vehicle, but there would be no problem with another vehicle accompanying us.

After the trip north, we will be doing a rush trip to Dryandra (1 night) and Albany (3 nights) to check for Masked Owl, Western Whipbird, Australasian Bittern. Again people are welcome to accompany in a separate car but the trip will be rushed and dedicated nearly to these birds.

This is purely a personal trip for two friends sharing costs. Others would be on the same basis (i.e. accommodation, food).