birding-aus

Blackbirds!

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Blackbirds!
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 19:49:36 +1000
This current thread on blackbirds reminds me of two matters:
1. Several years ago my wife and I participated in a birding trip in
southern India with the redoubtable Ben King and remember well the time when
we sat quietly on the jungle floor for ages in order to spot .... a
blackbird ... It would appear that there was some interest at that moment
amongst those who keep life lists that this particular race of the blackbird
might one day be split from turdus merula. It looked every bit a blackbird
to me.

2. The use of the term European Blackbird might not be quite so Eurocentric
as first appears. It always struck me as rather self-centred when we found
out that the kingfisher was the kingfisher when in England. All others had
extra bits to their names. Same with wren, etc, etc . The typology of bird
species was English. Others were variants. So perhaps this is an
improvement!!!!

Incidentally my wife always calls the Oriental Bird Club the Colonial Office
of the RSPB. I hope she is just being cheeky.

Brian Everingham
PO Box 269
Engadine
NSW 2233