birding-aus

Sooty Albatross

To: Alan Morris <>, Birding-aus <>
Subject: Sooty Albatross
From: Phil Hansbro <>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 10:18:55 +1000 (EST)
This must be a typo!! Surely it should be Shearwaters and not albatrosses.
I have been on hundreds of pelagics off NSW & still haven't seen a single
Sooty Albatross in NSW.

Cheers
Phil.

>    Hi Birders, I refer to Edwin Vella's query about Sooty  Albatross's
>off Sydney in 1983. The note by Ern Hoskin in "The Birds of Sydney"
>relates to an item in the NSWFOC Newsletter Nos 69, 72 & 77 whereby Alan
>McBride, well known seabird expert recorded that he saw Sooty Albatrosses
>at sea  off the edge of the Continental Shelf in Jan, May and Sep-Oct, max
>75 on 26  November and minimum of 1 on 26 Feb and 22 Oct 1983.  It must
>have been a  good year for Sooty Albatross because they have  been
>recorded only rarely,  at sea off the continental shelf or not, since that
>time.   Alan Morris Records officer NSWFOC

Dr Phil Hansbro
Discipline of Immunology & Microbiology
Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences
University of Newcastle