birding-aus

bait for cat trap

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: bait for cat trap
From: Barry McLean <>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 19:41:33 +1000
Hi All,

Continuing the cat trapping thread.

We lived at the edge of Mildura city for 27 years and always had a problem
with 'feral' cats ( I think that many of these were dumped pets) and often
used a possum trap - catching 20 to 30 per year for most of the last ten
years.  Scraps of roast chicken seemed to be the most reliable.

I also made a larger version for foxes/dogs which also caught cats.  On one
occasion Roberta noticed a couple of feral Toms showing interest in the body
of a dead cat.  She put the body in this trap as bait and both promptly went
in and were caught!  I have little doubt what the best bait for male cats
would be!

Barry

--
Barry and Roberta McLean
PO Box 979, Swan Hill 3585

Temp phone 5435 3372 at this house-sit near Bendigo until late August.

PS  I did not keep records but I know that males outnumbered females by a
considerable margin (about 3 or 4 to 1 I guess) so a bottle of the magic
scent would do a good job in population reduction - though it would be
better to trap all the females wouldn't it?