birding-aus

Grey Falcon spotting by train

To: birding-aus posts <>
Subject: Grey Falcon spotting by train
From: David McDonald <>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 10:20:33 +1000
Last week I took a break from visiting family on a station in the Qld
Gulf country and took the Gulflander tourist train from Normanton to
Croydon. I met the OIC of the Normanton Railway Station, Ken Millard; he
was driving the train that day. A fine chap, extremely knowledgable
about the area, incl its wildlife. Gives a fascinating commentary as the
train trundles along the track.

Well, Ken knew I was interested in birds. At one point along the track
he told me that he often? sometimes? sees a Grey Falcon in that vicinty.
And yup, soon after, I spotted one in flight.

Now don't jump in and tell me it was a pale kestrel sans subterminal
band on the tail, or a Little Cuckoo-shrike. Leave the BA Atlas record
vettors to deal with that! My point is (a) if you are ever in the Gulf
do reward youself with a trip on the Gulflander train, especially if Ken
is driving and giving a commentary; and (b) keep your eyes peeled for a
Grey Falcon at about 17 53 19 S; 141 13 25 E, which is about 29km SE of
Normanton.

David
David McDonald
PO Box 1355, Woden ACT 2606, Australia
Tel: (02) 6231 8904 (h); (02) 6125 5618 (w)
Fax: (02) 6125 0740; Mobile: 0416 231 890
E-mail: