birding-aus

Bird collisions/windows.

To: <>
Subject: Bird collisions/windows.
From: Hugo Phillipps <>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 08:46:55 +1000
John -

At 01:34 PM 5/08/01 +0100, you wrote:
>One of the methods used in the U.K. to prevent birds colliding with windows,
>particularly large patio types, is to stick a lifesize cut out flight
>silhouette, in black, of a raptor to the inside surface.Very often
>Sparrowhawk ( Accipiter nisus ) is used but I guess Collared Sparrowhawk
>would serve your purposes. Some of the conservation organizations have them
>for sale so it's possibly worth a check. Even a home made version is likely
>to work as it's the shape not the artistry that counts!!!

This might be a nice little earner for the conservation organisations you
refer to.  However, sticking a cutout on the inside of a window will do
nothing to prevent collisions caused by the outer surface reflecting the
sky; the birds will not see it.  I also think that the only time a cuttout
on the inner surface of a window helps prevent collision is when it acts as
a visual barrier to a perceived flyway through the building - that is, when
it blocks a view right through the building to the exterior on the other
side - and that any shape used is just about as good as any other.  A
wombat or a penguin would be just as effective - or ineffective; the visual
barrier needs to be large enough to prevent birds believing that a clear
passage exists.

Cheers,
Hugo

Hugo Phillipps
Communications Coordinator
Birds Australia
415 Riversdale Road
HAWTHORN EAST 3123, Australia
Tel: (03) 9882 2622, fax: (03) 9882 2677
Email: <>
Web site: <http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au>

Are you a member of Birds Australia?  If not, why not join us?