birding-aus

1080 baiting

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: 1080 baiting
From: "Doug Holly" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 07:25:26 +0930
G'day All,
Here in SA's Riverland we have some unique country, 400,000Ha of Mallee scrub, which includes Taylorville and Calperum Stations and Gluepot Reserve, we conduct a huge 1080 fox baiting program which I and others believe is a huge success, we use  dried fish,roo and goat baits which to our knowledge does little ( or no ) harm to other animals, I can't comment on the use of 1080 used in grain for rabbits, we do not use it, and I do have reservations.  On the floodplains of Calperum a group of us have conducted Bush Stone-curlew surveys in Jan for the last four years and have found an increase in numbers....a big fox baiting program is continuing...the Curlews were on the verge of extinction.
Four years ago while I was on a Bat survey on Calperum we hit and killed a half grown fox, next morning I looked in its' stomach and found 1..300mm Coral Snake  (Simoselaps australis )   1... 350 mm  Ringed Brown snake  ( Pseudonaja modesta )   1...150mm Centipede    3...50mm Christmas beetles.....one nights hunting by a small fox ??   It took two years to get a Landcarer system going...we now have 11 Landcare Groups looking after their "own patch"... I  look after Hideaway Paddock...about 17 Km square.....29000 Ha  and I think it is working OK...have a look athttp://www.iyv2001.gov.au/storybook/March/d_holly.htm  for a couple of stories about Black-eared Miners and Malleefowl.
During our bat surveys,  one night,  we had four Harp Traps randomly placed 2Km apart along a track...next morning we had 15 to 20 bats in the first two...44 in the next and 97 in the last.....so !....a lot of bats in the area, considering that a  Harp Trap consists of a 2m square of vertical fishing line suspended over a catching bag and placed among the trees.
We have conducted a couple of mammal surveys and the list...along with a list of 40 reptiles is.....
Bolam's Mouse.....Pseudomys bolami
Common Dunnart...Sminthopsis murina
- Fat-tailed Dunnart.......Sminthopsis crassicaudata
Southern Ningaui....Ningaui yvonneae
So, we have a lot of little creatures that need a bit of " outside help"
Doug Holly