birding-aus

Glass and Birds

Subject: Glass and Birds
From: "Lesley Judge" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 00:26:26 +1000
Hi All,
Re birds colliding with reflective glass, we found a great solution: Don't wash the windows.
On a more serious note, we found that the birds tended to stay away from the windows that were in shade. With this in mind, we started planting trees/tall shrubs outside windows that cast a lot of reflection and found that the birds tended to stay away, realizing that there was a barrier. Well, we think that's what happened. Poor husband, who had to climb onto the top of the greenhouse to check the results informed the kids & I that all he could see was curtains and furniture.

This was when we moved into our new home at Tannum Sands in 1981 and the birds were prolific and almost always intoxicated on nectar. Poor little devils were breaking their becks at an alarming rate. They also had a problem with a new aluminium shed on the block next door. The silvery glare of the aluminium seemed to dazzle them.
Lesley Judge