birding-aus

Threat to Swift Parrot habitat Tasmania

Subject: Threat to Swift Parrot habitat Tasmania
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 12:20:56 +1000

Hi everyone,
Thanks to Penny for bringing this issue to birding aus - it is a very important one and definitely worth following up.  In order to ensure the long term survival of the Swift Parrot, we need to protect and conserve its habitat both in Tasmania and on the mainland.  However, I would like to point out that the current national recovery plan for the Swift Parrot does not include a captive breeding program.  The main emphasis of the recovery plan is on the conservation of habitat throughout the swift parrot range.  For those of you who would like to contact Senator Hill about protecting Swift Parrot habitat on Mount Nelson please contact him by phone or post as follows:

Office phone: 02 6277 7640
Postal Address: MG68 Parliament House, Canberra 2600

The latest information is that the minister has contacted the developer and is waiting for a reply within the required time frame.  Any further action on this issue will occur after this reply period is finished or the proponent replies.  I have been in contact with Joe Johnson, Environment Australia Compliance, who is dealing with this issue.  He suggested that direct contact with Senator Hill was the most effective way to submit any correspondance about this issue.  However, if you would like to contact Joe Johnson his contact details are 02 6274 1644.

Thank you to everyone who is showing interest in the conservation of the Swift Parrot and its habitats, and good luck to all of you who are doing their bit for the Swift Parrot this national survey weekend!  If you are interested in becoming involved in future surveys for Swift Parrots, please contact me and provide your contact details including name, phone, email & address.

Thank you,

Debbie Saunders
Swift Parrot Project Officer
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service
Threatened Species Unit, Southern Directorate
Ph: (02) 6298 9733  Freecall: 1800 66 57 66 Fax: (02) 6299 4281
email:

02/08/01 09:59