birding-aus

psittacosis (part 1 subsection 6)

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: psittacosis (part 1 subsection 6)
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 21:43:33 -0700 (PDT)
Here's a website for all to peruse re: psittacosis ...

 http://www.multiscope.com/hotspot/psittacosis.htm

The trouble with people wanting (other people) to stop
feeding the birds is: well! Many in fact get quite
rude about the fact, that the genie is out of the
bottle.
Birds are attracted by humans that feed them, humans
are attracted the birds they feed. People WILL feed
birds, to see birds, they love birds ... many humans
dream famous dreams about being a bird of flight.

My very own adopted USA children flew too close to the
sun. Better to educate the bird-feeders in best
practice re: cleanliness and proper food for the
birds? that would be the best method of preventing
diseases, etc.

Also, with some birds the best method of preserving
the birds (in rarer species) is to feed them due to
human land management. Food-station cleanliness is
very important, I would suggest that rather than the
idea you need to stop feeding the birds. My guess is,
more birds are killed by pet cats than psittacosis;
but if I suggested all cats should be killed or
neutered at birth - you know what response I'd get ...
then there's the pet food lobby group.

No John John, now is not the time for another headache
just keep your sights firmly locked on that BIG CAT
issue, for it will not go away, as yet just like the
madness of 1080 and 245T.

John A. Gamblin