birding-aus

Cania Trip

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Cania Trip
From: "Bill Moorhead" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 18:58:36 +1000
Hello all,
Just a quick report on a trip this WE gone to Cania Gorge ,near Monto in Central Qld.
A few of us met at the well appointed caravan park to catch up with winter avifauna of
this terrific little park.......very dry despite 30mm the day before;zero at night and 20 odd daytime.

Bird Highlights.......
Brilliantly coloured Rose Robins;Red-capped Robin
Honeyeaters .....Scarlet;White-eared;White-naped;Lewins;Brown;Striped;Brown-headed;Blue-faced;Yellow-faced and others
Thornbills...........Brown(nest building under a log);Buff-rumped(nest-building in grass);Striated .
Speckled Warblers;a blue male Leaden Flycatcher was an eyecatcher!

About 80 odd species I think.

Mammal Highlights
Gliders...............Sugar;Squirrel;Yellow-bellied...fantastic views of all 3 within 5 mins and tame Rufous Bettongs.
The YBG's, in particular ,are exciting to see with their antics and raucous behaviour.Our 5 year old, Jack, enjoyed the aerial work of the Sugar Gliders the best.

I got home just in time to be beaten in the Bundaberg  Men's C grade grand final table tennis tournament by my 10 year old,Billy .
Should have stayed at Cania.
Well worth the trip

Bill