birding-aus

Corner Country Trip Report

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Corner Country Trip Report
From: "Lois j Piroch" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:02:07 +1000
Hi fellow birders,

Route : Melbourne, mutawintji[nee mootwingee], Pyampa Station, Sturt N.P., Innamincka, Birdsville, Lyndhurst, Hattah, Home.

Time : 28th June to &th July

Participants : Laurie Living, Nicholas Day & Geoff. Walker

Highlights :
Mutawintji : 50-100 very Tame Apostlebirds sweeping through the campground.
Apparently Hall's Babbler & Little Woodswallow are still resident in the park.

Pyampa Station : As previously reported on birding-aus, this station now owned by Ross Betts of Onepah whom we contacted before departure.  We also called in on our arrival & bade farewell when leaving.  A very pleasant man who welcomed our visit.   In about 4hours we located 50++ Grey Grasswrens in the larger, green lignum bushes on the fringe of the swamp.
Also several very handsome dingoes.

Sturt N.P.:  1000+ Red 'Roos in half days travel.

Cordillo Downs : 2pairs Gibberbirds & Bourke's Parrot.

Lake Surprise Bore : Small flock Ground Cuckoo-shrike.

Mungerannie : Eyrean Grasswren[4].  Cattle have recently devastated the dunes behind the roadhouse, but we found the wrens just south, adjacent to the 'PANADOL' sign, within a few hundred metres of the road.  A small flock of Australian Pratincole soured overhead late afternoon.  A Spotless Crake on the edge of the waterhole was unexpected.

Mungerannie to Marree : Black-tailed Native-hens,  20,000+, 500-1000 on almost every patch of casual water.  This was one of the trip highlights.... to see so many 'rafts' of large numbers of Native-hens resting  & feeding on ephemeral water & probably migrating through the outback at night.

Mt Lyndhurst Station : Despite a very strong & chilly breeze managed to locate a few Chestnut-breasted Whiteface just near the parking area as per T & T,  but not the Thick-bills.

Daily Sightings : Orange Chat, Crimson Chat, Chirruping Wedgebill, Cimmamon Quail-thrush, White-winged Fairy-wren, Little Crow.

Occasional Sightings : Chestnut-crowned Babbler, Red-winged Parrot, Diamond Dove, Pied Honeyeater, Budgerigar, Red-backed Kingfisher.

Incidental Sightings : Redthroat, White-browed Treecreeper< Brolga, Elegant Parrot, Spotted Bowerbird & Black Falcon.

Birds Unexpectedly NOT seen : Inland Dotterel, Australian Bustard, Spotted Harrier.

Birds Expectedly NOT seen : Grey Falcon, Letter-winged Kite, Yellow Chat & Flock Bronzewing.

Before departure we contacted Clifton Hills Station requesting access to Kooncherra & Pandiburra, but were denied on the grounds they were mustering.  The same reason/excuse given to friends several months prior.  One can only hope Onepah/Pyampa, Mt Lyndhurst etc., do not adopt a similar attitude.

Regards
Geoff. Walker
0418 572 922