birding-aus

Mullers Lagoon and the Turtle.

To: "QOSI" <>, "Ansell Mary" <>, "Wren P" <>, "Ward Rosemary" <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Mullers Lagoon and the Turtle.
From: "Jon Wren" <>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 21:49:16 +1000
Gooday all,
Quite an eventful atlas count this afternoon Saturday 14 July at Mullers
Lagoon, Bowen, Qld.
Arrived at 17.10 accompanied by my daughter Camilla our first observations
being Spangled Drongo, Helmeted Friarbird and Black fronted Plovers. While
watching the Plovers I noticed an object close to the waters edge in a small
pond between the Lagoon and Queens road.
Being inquisitive we trained the glasses on it only to find an adult
Hawksbill Turtle.
Not being a very suitable site for this species I decided to get closer in
an endeavour to catch it and relocate to the sea.
The Turtle did not move as I approached closer and I managed to grab the
front flippers and pull it from the small pond.
Covered in mud I carried it to the car and placed it on the tarp in the
boot, belly up. A quick trip home to grab the camera and a drive out to Rose
Bay.
For its ordeal confined in this small pond it seemed reasonably healthy with
no appearance of any injury or sickness.
On arrival at Rose Bay we were lucky to find the beach area deserted, so
proceeded down to the surf  where I was able to give it a clean. On touching
the salt water the Turtle became very active, flippers working hard as it
dragged itself into deeper water. What a joy it must have been for it to be
back in more familiar surroundings. On completing our good deed and taking
numerous photos we resumed the Atlas count at Mullers Lagoon albeit a bit
wet and muddy.
Photos yet to be developed and a good story for the local Bowen Independent.