birding-aus

Atlas location references

To: "Brian Fleming" <>, <>
Subject: Atlas location references
From: "Robert Read" <>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 13:59:52 +0930
Brian,

Go to the AUSLIG web site http://www.auslig.gov.au/index.htm
There you will find the Redfearne formula in an Excel spreadsheet that will
convert lats and longs to map coordingates or vice versa.  It can be set up
either for AGD66 to AMG or GDA94 to MGA.

Note that most GPS default to WGS84 datum, which is near enough to the same
as the new Australian datum GDA94.  Most published maps are on AGD 66, which
is about 200 m different depending where in Australia you are.
There are other spreadsheets, also I think on the AUSLIG site there are
spreadsheets that give the conversions from AGD 66 to GDA 94.  This is
simply a matter of identifying the map sheet that you are in and adding to
the eastings and northings.  AUSLIG have some free brochures that explain
the change of datum.

This probably sounds complicated, but is not too bad if you work through it.
The Redfearne spread sheet looks daunting, but is quite simple to use once
you get the right set of parameters in.

Robert Read
Alice Springs