birding-aus

VISIT TO AUSTRALIA

To: <>
Subject: VISIT TO AUSTRALIA
From: "Gruff Dodd" <>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 23:31:27 +0100
Hi everyone

I'm lucky enough to be visiting Australia (first visit) on holiday in
January 2002 and as a keen birder I would be very grateful for any
help you guys can provide.

I will be visiting South East Australia, basically between Melbourne
and Sydney, and also Tasmania.

My draft itinerary at the moment is something like as follows:

* 19.1.02 - Arrive Melbourne late evening
* 20 - 21.1.02 - Birding in Melbourne area, probably including the
coastal area to the south west, the coast to the south east including
Phillip Island and the Dandenong Range especially for Masked
Honeyeater at Yellingbo
* 22 - 24.1.02 - Tasmania, arriving and departing Hobart Airport.
Main priorities will be the endemic species and sub-species of
Tasmania - planning on doing Bruny Island and Mount Wellington unless
you recommend otherwise.
* 25.1.02 - Fly back to Melbourne and drive up to Deniliquin
* 26 - 29.1.02 - Birding the Deniliquin area with Phil Maher
* 30.1.02 - Drive to Sydney
* 31.1.02 - 2.2.02 - Sydney area, birding and general sightseeing,
before flying home late on 2.2.02

What I was wondering was:

1. Are there any birders in the Melbourne, Hobart or Sydney areas who
would be willing to go birding with a Pom in these areas on any of the
above dates?!  If it makes a difference, I've been supporting the
Aussies against the Lions for the last 2 weeks!!    I will have the
use of a hire car throughout.  If not, do you know of anyone off the
list who might be able to help?  I always find it immensely rewarding
birding with a local, as not only do you usually see more birds, but
you also get a much better feeling for the area you're visiting.

2. Is anyone on the list interested in maybe joining me with Phil
Maher in looking for Plains Wanderer etc around Deniliquin on the
above dates, and sharing the guiding cost?  I'm planning on 4 days in
this area, at least 2 of which would probably be in the Deniliquin
area, and the other 2 days might involve an overnight trip away to
somewhere like Beechworth.  If you'd be interested in joining me for
part or all of this time, I'd love to hear from you.

3. Does anyone have really reliable sites for some of the more
difficult birds in these areas, especially stuff like owls?

4. How long are the drives from Melbourne to Deniliquin and Deniliquin
to Sydney likely to take me?  I'm estimating maybe 4 and 10 hours
respectively - is that enough?

5. Finally, do you know of any nice motels in the areas I'm visiting,
maybe with a swimming pool or some nice gardens, but which wouldn't
break the bank?  I have a non-birding wife who I have to keep happy!

Thanks everyone for all your help - all the best from Wales.

GRUFF DODD
Barri, Cymru / Wales