birding-aus

Atlas analysis

Subject: Atlas analysis
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:13:04 +1000
A question for the Atlas folk at BA but, I'm sure, of interest to many of us.

On what basis will the data from this Atlas be mapped or analysed?  I thought I
heard, or saw, somewhere something about doing something on a 30 minute block
basis.

I ask this as I'm wondering how best to configure my Atlassing to be of
greatest value.  On recent trips I have made the effort to get into previously
unatlassed blocks to fill some gaps.  Wherever possible I try and do three 20
minute searches, ie an hours birding in a 10 minute block.

Now, I'm about to head up to Cunnamulla and will be staying at a site where I
completed quite a lot of Atlas sheets last year and I know others have also
been there and done the same.  I have, hot of the press courtesy of the Atlas
folk, the coverage of that area as of June 2001.  Sure enough the Cunnamulla
blocks are well covered but the 1 degree block immediately to the north
(Cunnamulla is in the 10 minute block 28 05S 145 45E) has a grand total of 13
Atlas sheets returned from only 6 10 minute blocks (ie 30 unatlassed 10 minute
blocks).  There are an equivalent number of unatassed blocks in the 1 degree
block immediately to the north east of Cunnamulla.

My question is: am I better trying to do a few blocks well or try and get into
as many of these unatlassed blocks as possible?  What is of the greatest value
to the Atlas?

Cheers

David

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
NSW NPWS
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo NSW 2830
Ph. Freecall 1800 621 056 or 02 6883 5335

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify
the sender. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender,
and are not necessarily the views of the NSW National Parks and Wildlife
Service.