birding-aus

RFI Northern Vietnam

Subject: RFI Northern Vietnam
From: Ronald Orenstein <>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 20:58:47 -0400
I will be travelling to Hanoi in late July for the meeting of the CITES Animals Committee (July 30-August 3). After the meeting a group of us are going to Cuc Phuong NP, but I plan to get to Hanoi about a week early to do some birding. I am aware that the best spots in the country are further south (eg Cat Tien, Da Lat) but being that tis will be, alas, the height of the monsoon season I am assuming I may be better off sticking closer to my base. On reading a number of trip reports it sounds like the Sa Pa area would be rather nice, but I'm open to suggestions.

The main thing I need is a recommendation for a good birding guide, preferably someone based in Hanoi who could provide transportation and guiding services, as I really do not feel like simply striking out on my own. I would be most grateful for any ideas or recommendations.

Thanks!

--
1825 Shady Creek Court
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5L 3W2