birding-aus

Big Day and Birding Events on 1 July

To: "" <>
Subject: Big Day and Birding Events on 1 July
From: Margaret Cameron <>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:46:24 +1000
1 July is the hundredth birthday of the RAOU / Birds Australia, the centenary of the incorporation of the Australasian Ornithologists Union.

The actual celebration will be the Centenary Congress in Adelaide from 1-4 November (the centenary of the AOU's first congress), followed by a campout in Nhill (Vic.) where the original members broke their journey to see the mallee birds on their return from the Adelaide meeting in 1901.

There are three birding events on 1 July. (As it's a Sunday no-one wanted to do anything indoors!) You don't have to be a member of Birds Australia to take part.

1 Big Atlas Day: All Atlassers have been asked to do at least one Atlas sheet on this day, maybe 10,000 sheets if we all do it!  giving a snapshot of bird distribution all over the country.

2 Big Birdwatch: We?re also having a local variant of the World Birdwatch. For our Big Birdwatch, the VicGroup has offered to donate sponsorship to HANZAB and endangered bird projects, up to a total of $1000, at the rate of $2 for each species seen in Australia by anyone on 1 July, and $3 extra for any species or subspecies in the Action Plan for Australian Birds (as endangered or vulnerable birds). All the atlassers? birds will automatically be included in the total. Non-atlassers (and off duty atlassers) can also join in, by sending in a list of the birds they see on 1 July, preferably by email to , or fax to 03-52291520, or mail endorsed Big Day to the National Office. In summer we?d easily see enough species to gain the full sponsorship, but can we do it in winter? (Additional sponsorship is welcome.) As Birding-Aus members are all over Australia, I hope lots of you will take part especially those who live in places less populated by birdwatchers.

3 Big Day: To encourage the more competitive to take part, Andrew Isles Natural History Books has donated prizes for the individual or team who records the most species midnight to midnight on 1 July. The normal Big Day rules apply. The list is Christidis and Boles. The team must stay within direct natural voice contact throughout (no mobile phones!). A species must be positively identified by appearance or voice by a majority of team members.  Tape playback or use of mechanical 'squeakers' to attract birds is not permitted. No assistance from people outside the team during the event is permitted.  A non-birding/non-participating
driver is permitted (and is a good safety move).

There?s also a prize for the child under 11 who sees most birds on 1 July, so children submitting lists should be sure to include their names, addresses and ages.  These Big Day lists should be submitted by email or fax as above, on 2 July. Competitors are encouraged to get sponsorship for Birds Australia projects. Contact Margaret Cameron or 03-52299792.
Margaret Cameron

4 Connor Street
East Geelong, Vic. 3219
Australia