birding-aus

w/b sea-eagles

To: <>
Subject: w/b sea-eagles
From: "Bruce Roubin" <>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:32:43 +1000
Good eye mite, good eye she-lah,

I would thankfully rate our w/b sea-eagles as "fairly common" in the Sydney region and beyond - but if you beg to differ, then please do so (as I'm sure you will)
e.g.
1). they are on my home list (at Caringbah NSW), notwithstanding that my home list consists of a pathetic grand total of only 31 species over 3 yrs
2), they are on my work list at North Sydney, which means birds which can be seen within 30 mins walk from the Harbour Bridge or NS CBD (I get the train to work).
I have recently seen 3 at a time circling over Balls Head Bay and Berrys Bay (1 juvenile, 2 adults), and the adults seem to regularly appear there after rainy periods.
They frequently butterfly over the Harbour Bridge, circle over Goat Is. and the "Piers" near the city (Millers Pt - not to be confused with Milson's Pt on the other side of the Harbour).
3). they are frequent-flyers over Botany Bay  eg. Taren Pt./Towra Reserve /Boat Harbour, including solitary juveniles and adult pairs even over high-traffic Captain Cook Bridge
4) they can almost invariably be seen from journeys on the Parramatta rivercats
- examples from those families nesting at Silverwater reserve, often just perched on the lamposts along the Parramatta River at Silverwater
5) they are officially reported to nest (at least to my knowledge) at Lane Cove River park, as well as Silverwater reserve and that spot near Balmoral alluded to below
6). on my (unfortunately) thinly spread visits to mid-south-coast NSW towns (eg. Mollymook/Ulladullah), I have been entertained by w/b sea-eagles from the balcony of my motel room, and even just looking out the glass doors

Regards