birding-aus

Looking for Highly Motivational Speaker on Current Environmental Issue

To: <>
Subject: Looking for Highly Motivational Speaker on Current Environmental Issue
From: "Paul Rose" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:07:05 +1000
Hello one and all,

As a regular contributer to birding-aus I would like to pick your brains for some suggestions.

You may be aware that Wesley College recently celebrated World Enviro Day by having over 1200 students spell out the words "World Enviro Day 2001" on one of our footy ovals with a map of Australia as an outline.  We were featured on Channel 7 news 05 June.  Some of you may have caught our five seconds of fame.

In relation to that, our Enviro Club has managed to raise $900 which is to be put toward a viable and worthwhile environmental cause.  In return, we would like to have a highly motivational speaker address the student body of Middle School.  I'll pull no punches and say that we have had our share of brilliant speakers and we have also had our share of bore-a-thons.
The students are magnificent if you get them on to something they can sink their teeth into and that they feel will make a difference.  They are all too wise to those that speak of money going here and there and amounting to nothing bar administrative payroll.   They have raised this money and they have ownership for it.

We naturally think of the ACF (Aus. Cons. Found.), my VWSG affiliation (I will not respond to any further discussions on canon-netting) , local issues concerned with Blackburn Lake, and would be more than willing to fund such worthy projects/organisations.  I put the opportunity to all of you as I know that you are a diverse and educated bunch (well, most of you). This is a wonderful chance to put your two cents in and guide us to support an issue concerning conservation (not even specifically bird related).

Remember our request for a speaker, even better in combination with some student exposure in the field for a small number from our Enviro Group.  Must be able to address 600 middle school students in a motivating and passionate manner.  I know that there are some fantastic, dynamic spokespeople out there.  Would love some suggestions from those who are at the grass roots level and are most informed.
Thank you all and I hope that I have managed to write within the confines of the birding-aus e-mail protocol.

Cheers,

Paul