birding-aus

wind generators

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: wind generators
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 13:13:00 +1000
g'day all,

Ralph Reid wrote in part.....
"..Yes, from what I read the major threat is by communications towers (mobile
phone and microwave radio towers, television and radio masts) and
predominantly to migrating species that fly by night, in instances where the
towers lie within the normal migratory fly-path...."

High Tension Power Lines can be added to Ralph's list.

A little over a year ago, Nicci Thompson, a visiting Birdwatcher from Toowoomba asked me to venture into a "prickly bush'" and pull out a dead bird. It was a Freckled Duck, which is an extremely rare visitor to this area. In fact, the only live ones I've seen were at Camooweal, 170 km away to the west.

However, this bush was immediately under the High Tension Power Lines from our Power House where they cross the Leichhardt River.

So, even these relatively low level static lines offer a deathly threat to migratory birds !

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.
ps. And yes, I added the FD to my Isa bird list.