birding-aus

Early morning Hastings.

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Early morning Hastings.
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 17:53:14 -0700 (PDT)
Good Morning all,
An early morning walk tfor me then helping a good
friend with his yacht this am. and long before Mr. J.
Faine was out shooing away his C loons, I got too
within a few feet of thee most graceful diver.

I watched as on three occasions he dived off the end
of the Hastings jetty. On the third attempt he came up
with a good sized fish and I'm sure a smile on his
face? what was he? well I was thinking of using him as
a quiz today ..... but perhaps a quiz later, eh? He
sat, poised, for ages peering into the semi dark
water, then launched himself using a shoving motion
with his feet from the pier bollard. I often wonder
about birds and the colouring they have and this fella
would only look like a dark cloud above, to his prey.
Perfect for his early morning fishing. Hope we get
some rain down here soon, I thought.

Oh so clever is "Mother Nature" ....

It's the first time I've seen a "White-faced Heron"
(Blue Crane) at this particular location, at this time
of year and day.

I continued on my walk to say good morning to my
"Honkers" along with his other 23 early morning
preening pelicans.

I took a short cut across the park close to the
library, which revealed:
9 Galahs,
14 Rainbow Lorikeet,
1 Scaley Breasted amongst them,
Oodles of tree sparrows,
Normal volume of RN Doves,
Plus that one I just can't place?
She has a very long green tail, chest back and wings
whispy green, beak and eye surround vivid red?

Anyone like to have a go at naming her species?

Have a great day everyone.

Regards,
Gummy John, Eggy and Lee.