birding-aus

Re: Masked Owl

To: "birdingaus" <>
Subject: Re: Masked Owl
From: David Stewart <>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 16:33:00 +1000
Greetings Doug

Hows it going over there.

There is a message from Peter Waanders just come in about a Masked Owl
calling well at Gluepot. This is a difficult species to record and I am
hoping you will have time to go up and record it.

I have included Peters message below which you will get on birding-aus
anyway. I suggested to Peter you could be interested in recording the owl.
Peter is talking about going up tonight.

>.Sender:
>-Loop:
>
>After the Masked Owl at Gluepot had been heard calling for around 15 minutes
>one day last week, I decided to stay on after Saturday's Management
>Committee meeting on-site. Between 7 and 10 pm myself and a few others
>listened and played the recorded call on various spots within the area the
>owl had been recorded since Easter.
>However, luck was not with us, and to make matters worse, last night at 8pm
>my phone rings - it's the ranger, they had just finished listening to the
>Masked Owl calling near the homestead for nearly ten minutes.
>Aarrrrghhh!!!!
>I'll make a special trip tonight if the weather is fine.
>
>Cheers
>
>Peter Waanders

I'm bogged down at the moment working on "Australian Bird Calls: Tasmania"
and "Declining Woodland Birds of Eastern Australia: Subtropical and
Temperate". This will keep me offf the streets for a few months at least.
Have you by chance recorded the race of Red-tailed Black Cockatoo in western
Victoria.

Regards

Dave
David Stewart