birding-aus

Mandurang Forest - Pink Robin

Subject: Mandurang Forest - Pink Robin
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 10:23:39 +1100

G'day again,

Just some further notes re. the male Pink Robin that has now been in the
Mandurang forest for over two weeks.  Last week, Ted Shimba and I visited the
area searching for Chestnut-rumped Heathwren and Speckled Warbler (found both)
and Ted obtained some good photographs of the Pink Robin.  The group of 20 or so
Swift Parrots still remain in the area.  On Saturday afternoon, I saw 6 birds
lerping in Grey Box only 7-8 metres above ground - lovely.

To add to the excitement, and to the amazing number of robins and small
insectivores at this site, on Saturday afternoon I observed an adult male Rose
Robin at a small dam about 100 metres from the Pink Robin 'gully'.  The bird
bathed in the dam, then preened and resumed foraging in typical Rose Robin
fashion (very Grey Fantail like) in the tops of Red Stringybark.  Moments later,
we were able to compare what we had seen with the male Pink Robin, two male
Flames, an Eastern Yellow and a pair of Scarlet Robins!!

Cheers,

Chris