birding-aus

More on Robins

Subject: More on Robins
From: "J&A Flack" <>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:22:50 +1000
Dear Birding Aus folk,

I was interested to see Chris Tzaros' report on May 23 regarding the many types
of Robin in Mandurang State Forest. We used to see all these Robins ourselves
near the Paddy Ranges (Maryborough, Vic) but now only see lots of Eastern
Yellows and ONE pair of Hooded's.

I am wondering whether this obvious decline relates to the lack of rainfall in
the Paddy Ranges area. This has been a noticeable trend for over a decade now
and has resulted in a lack of groundcover in the bush - that is, the herb and
grass layer of the forest is markedly lacking.

Also calicivirus seems not to have affected our local bunnies and over recent
years kangaroos seem to be around in much greater numbers than before.

On a brighter note our most recent visit to the area (29th May) saw us getting
excellent views of a group of Black -chinned Honeyeaters and a Crested
Bellbird. The nearest dams being dry, these birds (plus White-naped,
White-plumed, Yellow-tufted, Grey Shrike-thrush and Eastern Yellow Robin) all
appreciated the shallow bowl of water we provided for them.

Of interest too is the Owlet Nightjar seen for the second time now in a metal
pipe which runs horizontally under a tank stand. We have seen a bat in this
also from time to time and noticed that the sun warming the metal seems to be a
definite attraction for it, possibly the nightjar too. Who needs nest boxes!?

Jan Flack