birding-aus

Townsville

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Townsville
From: "Marleen Acton" <>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 03:01:53 +1000
This month in Townsville,
                                    With the weather starting to turn cool lots of our southern migrants have been on the move back. Predominantly Grey Fantail, Rufous Whistler, Glossy Ibis, Yellow-billed Spoonbill, Pratincole and Red-backed Kingfisher. The special birds for this month have been the Black-chinned Honeyeaters. We have now managed to see them on three different occasions. Two Pink-eared Ducks were seen at the Town Common.

On the 13th Ian Clayton was doing a nightspotting run form Hidden Valley and saw Barking, Rufous and Boobook owls plus a Papuan Frogmouth.

On Sunday 27th at Toomulla Beach we had excellent views of a Black Butcherbird, for many of us this was the first sighting for this year.

This morning 6 members of the Townsville Region Bird Observers Club took Bob Bradshaw (from Adelaide) to Toonpan. The most exciting were a Brown Goshawk sitting on a gate at about 15mts and extended views of a Black Falcon cruising overhead. Bob got 2 lifers White-throated Gerygone and the Black-chinned H/E.
This morning we saw 84 species plus 1 heard.

Marleen Acton.