birding-aus

RFI Deaths in custody

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: RFI Deaths in custody
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 17:39:58 +1000
Hello Robert,

Other good captive management stories would have to include the Orange-bellied Parrot, Nene (Hawaiian Goose) the Alala (Hawaiian Crow) and the Guam Rail (from Guam of course) off the top of my head.

I'm sure there are failures as well but I feel that its better to have a go at captive breeding than to let things fade away as has been known to happen in the past with some endangered species. I know of one in particular (not from Australia) that was placed in the too hard basket and has now almost certainly gone extinct. From my point of view I would have preferred that the remaining birds (there was only a handful) were caught up and attempts made to breed them in captivity. They probably couldn't have been released until the factors causing their decline had been reduced, however, a captive colony can buy valuable time. If it failed, well, that would have been sad but it just might have worked. From what I was told, the expertise existed, just not the will to take the risk.

Now I'm depressed.

Cheers,

Mick Todd