birding-aus

Re: If you want to pick up a non-bird topic

To: <>
Subject: Re: If you want to pick up a non-bird topic
From: "Bruce Roubin" <>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 22:10:01 +1000
Russell,
I accept that you have to draw a line, and respect the occasional high
quality content and serious issues where they crop-up on this mailing list,
but in that case you might want to redraft the banner on your homepage:
"A meeting place and resource centre for
anyone interested in Australia's wild
birds, their conservation and behaviour "
The way I read this is, that it is inclusive of exchanges of incidental
topics and anecdotes by those so interested (because of "meeting place").
In any case, topics relating to people and things circumstantial to the
subject of "Australia's wildbirds, their conservation and behaviour" can be
of indirect benefit to the welfare of wild birds, apart from the fact that
it gives the whole thing more meaning.
Did it ever occur to you for example, that the recent (perhaps unfinished)
debate on the merits or otherwise of birders carrying mobile phones, could
lead to a beneficial outcome for wild birds.
eg, by concluding that we can provide more protection for wildbirds by
generally taking mobile phones with us whilst birding.
CDMA mobile phones have a range of up to 200kms, and thereby are potentially
a useful device to call WIRES where appropriate for help (as I've done for
Azure Kingfisher injured away from its normal habitat), or Parks & Wildlife
where strictly reserved habitat is in the process of being vandalized by
illegal activities such as trail bike riding or horse riding (the latter
leading to the spread of weeds).
Furthermore, talk about birders gives insight into what makes them tick,
which could indirectly lead to growth in the pastime. A greater interest in
birding can of course lead to more interest in the conservation of
environment for birds and other wildlife. If for example you find that there
is a disproportionate lack of interest say in Sydney (notwithstanding the
infiltration of Simon Benson's generous bird-interest write-ups in the
Sydney Tele Mirror - as today's on Steve's book launch),  then the
visibility of that could entice Sydney birders to actively drag more family,
friends, colleagues etc on outings which might get them interested.
Regards