birding-aus

Black Panther or Big Feral cat in Blue Mtns NSW

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Black Panther or Big Feral cat in Blue Mtns NSW
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 17:55:42 +1000
Hello Big Cat Searchers,

I hate to put the mocker on the "Black Panther" sighting that was reported on a Current Affair. However, the cat filmed was clearly a domestic cat. You can roughly judge the size by comparison with the wire behind it and the grey and white cat that was also shown. Also look at the grasses that are in front of and near the cat. They clearly show that the cat was nothing more than a domestic cat. The head on shot of the cat sitting was also very reminiscent of a Felis catus. The "expert" they interviewed from was non-committal (I wonder how much they paid him!).

To cap it all off, the reaction of the woman when asked whether she had heard about panther sightings before was very unbelievable, as though she had been coached on what to say beforehand.

Cheers,

Mick Todd