birding-aus

RE: The future of Emu and Birds Australi

To: <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: RE: The future of Emu and Birds Australi
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 10:33:30 +0930
A few comments I'd like to make on this subject:

1. I agree with a previous message that we should support BA instead of
working towards even more divisiveness. I think it is ridiculous enough as
it is that there are two organisations (BOCA & BA) and I'm going to step on
peoples toes but I'll  say it anyway, we would all be a lot better of if the
two were merged.
2. BA seems to be in a lot of trouble, both in terms of management and
financial, which is not a reason not to support them, but should be a reason
for the members to perhaps raise their voice and ask some serious questions
at least.
3. A few months ago I have been trying to push the subject on this list of
awareness of birds and birdwatching among the general public, and it created
some interesting debate, but it was left at that. I wholeheartedly agree
that BA should get out in the open and pull in people that are "just
interested"  in birds or just want to do some backyard birdwatching.
4. Australians as a whole seem keen enough to become members of all kinds of
sporting clubs, perhaps we should promote birdwatching as a sport? (Imagine
that, an Olympic twitchathon!)

Cheers

Peter Waanders

Birding SA: www.riverland.net.au/~peterw
Gluepot: www.riverland.net.au/gluepot

The information in this e-mail may be confidential and/or legally
privileged.  Use or disclosure of the information by anyone other than the
intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received
this e-mail in error, please advise by return e-mail.