birding-aus

Proposal for fast catamaran vehicle ferry terminal at Stony Point, Weste

To: <>
Subject: Proposal for fast catamaran vehicle ferry terminal at Stony Point, Westernport Bay
From: "J & C Krohn" <>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 21:53:27 +1000
Folks,

There's been a bit of discussion about this proposal on the list  - anyone who isn't particularly interested in some information about the proposal and the process, please delete now.

When I'm not birding, I'm an environment officer with the Victorian Department of Infrastructure, and one of my current tasks is to prepare a briefing for the Minister for Planning to decide under the Environment Effects Act 1978 whether an Environment Effects Statement (EES) is required for the proposal.  The proposal itself is to relocate the Victorian terminal for an existing fast catamaran ferry service which operates between Georgetown, Tasmania (near the mouth of the Tamar River estuary, north of Launceston) and Station Pier, Port Melbourne.  The service operates over the summer up till just after Easter, and has apparently been in operation for about four years.  The operator, TT Lines, is a company wholly owned by the Tasmanian Government, and also operates the Spirit of Tasmania from Station Pier.

There have been two briefing meetings with stakeholder representatives, the first last week, the second this evening, and a public meeting was also held this evening, in Hastings.  A second public meeting is scheduled for tomorrow evening, I think at Crib Point.

The proponent has referred the proposal to Environment Australia which will brief the Commonwealth Minister for the Environment, Senator Hill, who has to decide whether the proposal is a "controlled action" under the Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999.  The referral can be downloaded from Environment Australia's website.  Possible triggers in terms of matters of "national environmental significance" as defined under that Act include the status of Western Port as a Ramsar wetland, the occurrence in the area of species listed as endangered or vulnerable under the Act, and the occurrence in the area of migratory species listed under international treaties (eg JAMBA, CAMBA).  The Commonwealth's decision is due around the end of this month.

The proposal also requires formal consent from the Victorian Minister for Environment and Conservation under the Coastal Management Act 1995, and the proponent has lodged an application with the Department of Natural Resources and Environment.

Anyone who would like more information about the proposal should contact TT Lines (Mr Peter Simmons or Capt. Tony Boyle), their consultants, Brown & Root Services (Mr Venket Naidu or Ms Jackie Boyer) or Mornington Peninsula Shire Council (Mr Ralph Kenyon, Manager Economic Development).  If you would like more information about the EES process or other assessment/ approvals processes, please feel free to contact me at work on 9881 8897 or by email at   If your query relates to a process under someone else's jurisdiction, I should be able to put you in touch with the right people.

Sorry if this is a bit away from the list, although I guess the Ramsar and JAMBA/ CAMBA aspects give it some relevance.

Regards,

    Jack