birding-aus

Nocturnal Happenings.

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Nocturnal Happenings.
From: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 10:14:17 +1000
Hi All,

   3.30am. Whoo...whoo.......whoo....whoo.. outside our bedroom window.   Having gone to bed after midnight anything/one other than a bird, in this case a Powerful Owl, would have been walking on thin ice.
    This was the second time in 3 weeks that she (higher "whoo" than the male which has a very deep call) has been around the house.  I usually hear them calling from down in the Yarra River Valley, which is about a kilometre from our house as an Owl flies.  The call echoes from the valley around the hills.
     I would presume the only reason the Owls had come up from the valley and ventured so close to the house, would be the supply of Ring-tailed Possums which have taken over 4 of the 6 nesting boxes put up for the parrots.  It's an ill wind......
     I digress.  After listening for some time I obviously slipped back into the Land of Nod.....to be woken again at 5.50am.  This time she was back down in the valley and receiving a reply.
  I don't really need much sleep anyway.
     I knew that I wouldn't get back to sleep after 6am so off to the golf course.  Checked the thermometer ...3 degrees.  Brrrrr
     For all you Melburnians who weren't up at 6.30 this morning, you missed something wonderful.  A full moon lightly shrouded in fog in the west, while in the east the sun cast a warm glow to the few wispy clouds in an otherwise clear blue sky.
   One of those 3M mornings....Magical Melbourne Morning. Would have been a beautiful morning for a hot air balloon ride over Melbourne or the Yarra Valley.

   Just an end note..when I arrived back from golf, a Brown Goshawk took off from the front of the block...life's never dull when you're a bird watcher.

Happy birding
Marlene