birding-aus

Merrimu Reservoir (Vic)

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Merrimu Reservoir (Vic)
From: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 23:10:23 +1000
Hi All,

   Merrimu Reservoir (37 38.0 S  144 29.3 E) is located northeast of Bacchus Marsh on the Diggers Rest-Coimadai Rd.  A delightful hour was spent near the Outlet Tower which is on the northern side of the road where you are able to set up a telescope, and at the entrance to Quarry Haul Rd on the southern side, which has a locked gate.
  The fog prevented me from identifying some of the birds further out on the northern reaches of the reservoir, but the bush birds around the above area plus some water birds at the southern end certainly kept me happy for an hour.
  One of the first birds to cause excitement was a Great-crested Grebe just to the west of the outlet tower.  I've seen this species here on just about every occasion I've checked out this area.  The other interesting happening was a Whistling Kite drinking at the waters edge while 20 Wood Duck, no more than 2' from him, formed a semi circle in the water, while all the time intently watching the kite. I think the kite may have got stage fright as after a short time he flew off.
  Other birds on/over the water included White-faced Heron, Welcome Swallow, Little Pied & Little Black Cormorant, Australian Shelduck and Grey Teal.  Many more further out.
  Honeyeaters flitting back and forth over the road included  Spiny-cheeked, Yellow-tufted, Yellow-faced, White-naped, White-plumed, Brown-headed and New Holland plus Red Wattlebird.
   Other highlights (aren't they all?) were the Diamond Firetails which, again, I usually see at this site.  Red-browed and Zebra Finch plus Yellow-rumped Thornbills and Superb Fairy-wrens added to the joy, while a Black-shouldered Kite hovered around the picnic area.
   Sulphur-crested Cockatoos and Little Corellas flying over, finished the bird count.
   Not a bad count for an extended "cuppa" stop.
   Melways Edition 27 references:  Map 112 A1    Map 218 K1

   Happy birding all
   Marlene