birding-aus

Two questions

To: <>
Subject: Two questions
From: "Purcell's" <>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 08:50:35 +1000
Re my other email, I have Land For Wildlife property, but am looking for answers to two questions (and hopefully they will not create any interminable debates):

1) We have rats and mice in the roof. We have mice in the house. This is particularly the case with the advent of winter. I took the cover off the BBQ a week back, to find a cosy group of mice! All the people around us nail "talon" wax blocks in the roof space (the folk lore being that it creates a thirst in the rats which drives them outside to die - hence no smelly remains in the wall cavities). Question: is there a relatively bird safe poison for use in such circumstances?

2) We have a rabbit and feral cat problem: Can anyone recommend a humane trapping option for me? (The rabbits have no burrows: they squat in patches of long grass, and emerge at night to consume any new small plants I have put out. Given I want to re-establish some understorey diversity, this is frustrating.) The cat is a concern now that we have blue wrens around the house.

Rick Purcell