birding-aus

Black-breasted Buzzard

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Black-breasted Buzzard
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 17:36:42 +1000
g'day all,

Last week,  when doing some Atlassing about 28km south of the Isa, I was lucky enough to record a B-b B ( a lifer !) soaring overhead.
Its speeding shadow attracted my attention to look up.

Another Isa had seen a B-b B only 4 km further south during Oct 1999.

After leaving my atlassing location (noteworthy for the many 100's of Spinifex Pigeons) I saw the B-b B again halfway to the 1999 sighting, soaring along a range of hills

The 1st Atlas (p94) says in part  "...suggests that adult B-b B are sedentary"

My observations seem to confirm that theory.

Any thoughts from the BoP experts ? Should I even think of looking for a nest ?

Bill Horton in Sunbird, 1975, wrote "rare around Mount Isa"  He was right
The Hanzab ref is V2, p193

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.