birding-aus

Unfortunate misunderstanding

To: "birds" <>
Subject: Unfortunate misunderstanding
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 19:47:57 +0930
The final issue (Vol 6 No. 3,4 ISSN 1323-255X dated September-December 2000) of The Australian Birding Magazine carried an article by myself regarding a birding trip I made with three others commencing 22nd July 2000. Had the ABM continued the following would have been in the next issue, but in the absence of further issues I am making my apology as public as possible via birding-aus.
In that article I referred to the sighting of Grey-crowned Babblers in the far north of South Australia. My wording of that sighting was inadvertently incorrect in that I said it confirmed the presence of these Babblers in SA.  I also stated that there had been some debate about this prior to our departure. These two sentences possibly created an incorrect impression that I had been involved in such a debate, which I hadn't. I had only been informed by others that there had in the past perhaps been some debate as to their continuing presence in SA.  Additionally, my using the word confirming may have created the impression that I was claiming any sort of credit for establishing their presence, which I certainly was not. I had been told they had been seen near the Marryat River in the far north, and as my trip would take me to that area I was asked to have a look for them. This was done and we found them, hence the mention in my article.  The fact of their presence was already established by other people as early as 22-24 April 2000 and reported in the same issue of ABM (p39) , which was some three months prior to my being there.

I will conclude by stating quite categorically that I had no wish or intention to be associated with establishing the presence of those birds in SA and apologise if I offended anyone by inadvertently implying that I had.  My intention was simply to report seeing them.
Sincerely. Tony Russell.
SA birding by 4WD
phone: 08 8337 5959
email: