birding-aus

Yellow-faced Honeyeater migration

Subject: Yellow-faced Honeyeater migration
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:29:05 +1000 (EST)
On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Carol Probets wrote:
> Here at Katoomba the honeyeater migration is taking place in relatively
> modest numbers so far this season.

I've spent the last 11 days on the NSW south coast, south of Batemans
Bay.  The Yellow-faced Honeyeater migration was conspicuous over Easter
(April 13th-17th).  On the 13th I saw 150 in less than ten minutes.
This certainly wasn't sustained but through the day, every few minutes
flocks of 10-30 (largely) YF honeyeaters moved through.   This was about
100m inland from the beach.  There were less numbers in the next few
days and after the 17th I noticed only occasional Honeyeaters.  I wasn't
there before the 13th.

Bruce Roubin mentioned YFHE and Striated Heron in inner Sydney.

I heard one small YFHE flock before Easter pass over my house in Glebe
in inner Sydney. I usually see/hear at least a few small flocks pass
through during the migration.  One year (1997?) I saw over 100 in an hour
and there were reports from other parts of Sydney of a higher than
usual YFHE migration.

I've seen Striated Heron several years ago at Rozelle Bay ( west of the
Anzac Bridge) which is about 2.5km from the GPO.  I suspect Rozelle
Bay is heavily polluted - I wonder how the White-faced Herons I see
regularly fare in the long term.

Andrew Taylor