birding-aus

Far(ish) North Queensland

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Far(ish) North Queensland
From: "Jon and Fiona Hall" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 17:36:52 +1100
Thanks very much to all those who gave me some pointers for places to bird
around FNQ.  I saw some 200 bird species in between mammal hunting  - bird
highlights for me were:

A lone Glossy Ibis at Townsville Common

Cotton Pygmy Geese and a Tawny Grass Bird at Kinshant Dam (near Mackay)
(last October the local bird group saw 43 Grass Owls here one morning!  I
didn't see any though)

White-browed Robin and Masked Owl around Ingham

3 Beach Stone Curlew being harrassed by a Dingo at sunset at Yule Point
(between Cairns and Mossman) - the Dingo then seemed to turn his attention
to me and started stalking me for a while (but only when he thought I wasn't
looking)

Red-necked Crakes at Kingfisher Park, walking around the tables

Little Bittern, Black Bittern, Little Kingfisher, Crimson Finches and
White-browed Crakes at the Cairns Croc farm

And, at long last, a Channel Billed Cuckoo flying over the Daintree.

Best mammals were Mahogany Gliders, Proserpine Rock Wallaby, Northern
Bettong and a Prehensile-tailed Rat.  All very exciting.

cheers

Jon