birding-aus

Bird Programs

To: "BIRDING_AUS" <>
Subject: Bird Programs
From: "Chris Padley" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:16:07 +0100
Hi All,
            Some time back I sent out info re: Birdrecorder which can
probably be accessed from the archives of Birding aus. I too started with
the dos version about a decade ago but it is now on CD rom & in Windows
(95/98) format .As far as I am concerned it is the best on the market and I
have tried 2 or 3 different programs. The beauty of it is that it is easily
adapted for your own country - it is not really a British or American
program - it is really universal - if you set it up in Aus it becomes an Aus
program.It does have maps for each species but they are of limited use as if
1 specimen has occurred in a country  the whole country is coloured up. It
is excellent for producing life,trip,area,back garden, country , region -
lists - in fact any list you like. It constantly updates your lists & puts
all new species seen automatically into a World List. It produces check
lists for any country that you choose to visit, with grids for ticking off
species that you see each day. If your rarities committee decides to upgrade
a sub species to species status you can upgrade the Systemmatic list. It is
very versatile. I would say that you have to work hard to get everything
right but I think it is worth it.It even comes with a tutorial I have lists
for all the countries I have visited & after a long time i have all the
species that I have ever seen entered. Once that is donr it is very easy to
enter a days sightings after a visit to a given locality. I can enter a day
trips sightings of say 70 or 80 species in under 10 minutes. The beauty then
is that you are continuously keeping records so that 1st & last sightings
for a species plus numbers seen can be brought up on the screen in an
instant.
            Anyway I have rambled on enough - I have no financial interest
in this at all.
                                                         Cheers
                                                          Chris

Helen & Chris Padley,