birding-aus

Forbes

Subject: Forbes
From: allan benson <>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:28:30 -0700
Went to Forbes over Easter to attend a school reunion. This is a really
attractive town with historic buildings (as featured in "The Dish") and
some really great birding spots close to the town. Ian Fraser recommends
The Lake Forbes Motel in his accomodation guide.

We didn't do much birding this trip but here are the highlights.

Golf Course: Grey-Crowned Babbler, Blue-Faced Honeyeater, Red-rumped
Parrot, White-plumed H/E, Little Raven.

Back Yamma: Red-capped Robin, Brown Treecreeper, Apostlebird. It was
really quiet this time. We have seen Turquoise Parrot, Painted
Button-quail, Hooded Robin, Speckled Warbler here before and Gilbert's
Whistler has also been reported regularly.

Lake Forbes: Darter, Pied and Little Black Cormorant and heaps of
Australasian Grebe.

Blue Gum Swamp: Black Flacon (which posed for fantastic views in the
scope-this is a resident), 2 pairs Blue-billed Duck, lots of Pink-eared
Duck, Tree Martin, Darter with 4 young in nest.

The number of Darter at Blue Gum and Lake Forbes is amazing.When I was
at school there we rarely saw Darter. Now they are common.

If anyone wants directions to these locations please email me.

Allan
--
Allan Benson
8 Sherston Close Niagara Park NSW Australia