birding-aus

H1 Lands, Cronulla

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: H1 Lands, Cronulla
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 11:38:40 +1000
This morning my wife and I spent a short time at the H1 wetlands at Cronulla
and on the boardwalk behind the Sharks Club. This boardwalk juts into
Woolooware Bay.

The H1 wetlands have been redeveloped over the past year as compensatory
wetlands for the destruction of the Eve Street wetlands by the RTA. This was
an old Metromix sand mine and was left as a deep hole next to mangroves. The
rehabilitation has opened the lagoon to tidal influence and has made the
eastern rim shallow for waders.

The southern shores of Woolooware Bay appears to still have a few Whimbrels
and the odd Eastern Curlew resident and the H1 lands had two Bar-Tailed
Godwits present this morning. A resident pair of Black Fronted Dotterel were
also at the H1 lands. No other waders were spotted and there were no Black
Winged Stilts and no Musk Duck, both often present at this location.

My most pleasant memory of the morning would have to be the close view of a
Mangrove Heron on one of the poles opposite the end of the boardwalk at
Woolooware Bay, closely followed by a delightful female Southern Emu Wren in
the grasses fringing the H1 wetlands.

Total list for the area this morning: 41 species.
Viewing time: 7.45am - 8.30am
Brian Everingham
PO Box 269
Engadine