birding-aus

Birding Western Sydney

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Birding Western Sydney
From: "Darryl McKay" <>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 00:57:57 +1000
April 13th

Dipped out on Keith's Turquoise Parrot but nearby had great views of a pair of Rock Warblers only about 2 metres from the our car.

We were originally going to cross Wiseman's Ferry but estimated we would have to wait half an hour or more, the line of cars waiting to cross was several hundred metres long, and Webs Creek Ferry was not much better. So we headed back Richmond.

Around the Windsor area we counted 9 Yellow-billed Spoonbills at  4 different sites, largest numbers I have seen in Sydney area. A Diamond Dove was sighted on the back lanes of Richmond, feeding on the road with more than a dozen Spotted Turtle-doves, escapee?  Almost ran over 2 Brown Quails, 51 White-faced Herons in one paddock, and large numbers of Straw-necked Ibis during the day.

At Magraths Hill the Male Musk Duck was still present along with Pink-eared Ducks and Australian Shovellers. One Male Crested Shrike-tit or is that Eastern Shrike-tit, attacking his reflection in the side mirror of a truck. He was so occupied that we could approach within a couple of metres. My first record of this species a Magraths.

101 species for the day and most of these were sighted from the car and we were taking it leisurely.

Darryl McKay
Bankstown