birding-aus

freckled ducks in sa - through new scope!

To: <>
Subject: freckled ducks in sa - through new scope!
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 15:38:23 +0930
Hi all

Yes, today has been a good friday so far. A few days ago my new scope arrived - the leightweight Kowa TS611, 20-60x zoom, 60mm diameter.
I had deliberately chosen this leight jewel as I had previously owned a larger Kowa, a lump of a thing to carry around. I haven't had a scope for almost five years now after I sold my first one (reluctantly) to help finance a world trip.
Anyway today was my first opportunity to try it out. After a very cold morning the sun had quickly warmed things up and around lunchtime it was around 25C. I headed for the local wetland (Hart Lagoon, near Waikerie, some of you who have been to Gluepot might know it). The scope was every bit as good as I expected, of course it not being made of ED glass (I didn't want to pay an extra $900 for that) at 60x magnification some purple edging occurs. Also it is nice and bright for the 60mm diameter, I don't know what its performance will be under overcast conditions though.
The water in the lagoon was flowing out over the edges as the River Murray is yet again rising. There was a lot of activity, mainly ducks including many hundreds of Pink-eared Duck, and quite a few Aus. Shovelers and around 25 Caspian Terns. Between all this I spotted one or two Freckled Ducks! All ducks kept going under to feed, their bums sticking up, so it was not an easy count, but after about 20 minutes I concluded there were at least 8 Freckleds there.
A very satisfying result, Freckled Ducks are quite rare in the settled parts of SA, every year one or two turn up at different places but never before had I seen 8.
For those of you who are heading to Gluepot, Hart Lagoon is a short detour and well worth a visit - it's only 200 m down from the Waikerie Caravan Park. Check it out on www.riverland.net.au/~rwlap/wetlands.html

Cheers

Peter Waanders

Birdwatching South Australia: www.riverland.net.au/~peterw