birding-aus

Trip Report Barrington Tops, Gloucester Tops & Woko National Parks 9-11

To: <>
Subject: Trip Report Barrington Tops, Gloucester Tops & Woko National Parks 9-11 April 2001
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:25:46 +1000
TRIP REPORT GLOUCESTER & BARRINGTON DISTRICT 9-11 APRIL 2001

John McLennan, Lorraine Johnstone & myself recently spent 3 days in the Gloucester District as a precursor to organising a trip there later in the year and to Atlas in blocks with low totals in the general area.. Unfortunately while we travelled up in fine weather our day spent up in Gloucester and Barrington Tops was cold, very misty & wet and so we did not see many birds there!

On the way up we stopped at Newells Creek (32 16, 152 10) where Spotted Pardalotes were calling stongly; at The Glen NR ( (formerly Graven SF, 32 10, 152 05) in a 20 minute, 2 ha count we found 19 species including Brown Gerygone, Golden Whistler, White-naped Honeyeater and 2 Wedge-tailed Eagles. Around Belbora we found plenty of Bar-shouldered Doves, a few Brown Cuckoo-Doves, a female Rose Robin, Fantailed Cuckoo a few late White-throated Gerygones & Rufous Whistlers.

In the streets of Gloucester, White-headed Pigeons were prominent as they fed on the ripening Camphor Laurel seeds and Blue-faced Honeyeaters called from the street trees. In the surrounding paddocks were flocks of Straw-necked Ibis & Cattle Egret, and a few White-necked Heron and Intermediate Egret. Up in Barrington Tops near Honeysuckle Creek we watched an adult female Collared Sparrowhawk wrestling on the ground with a Red Wattlebird, which it eventually subdued and flew off with the carcase, all the other Red Wattledbirds in the vicinity were calling their heads off!.  At Devils Hole, in the mist & the rain, were two Crescent Honeyeaters feeding in the Banksias along with many Eastern Spinebills and Yellow-faced Honeyeaters. Trying to keep dry from the rain standing under the leaking shelters eating our lunch, we were kept busy watching the flock of Flame Robins feeding undeterred by the weather at Polblue Swamp. The trip to Gloucester Tops in the rain was equally unrewarding though most of the common bushbirds were seen and it was obvious that the Yellow-faced Honyeater migration had commenced.

Next morning the sun came out and we had a pleasant drive to Woko NP (31 47, 151 46) about 25 km N of Gloucester on the Nowendoc Rd and exploring this National Park. Highlights of the trip here included 2 Wompoo Fruit-Doves, Green Catbird, Wonga Pigeon, Rose Robin, Restless Flycatcher, Yellow-rumped Thornbill, King Parrot, Rufous & Golden Whistlers, Yellow-throated Scrub-wren, Australian Raven & Torresian Crow.
Altogether  18 atlas sites were surveyed  and 83 species recorded.

Alan Morris