birding-aus

Tuggerah Wetlands, NSW Central Coast 7 April 2001

To: <>
Subject: Tuggerah Wetlands, NSW Central Coast 7 April 2001
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:26:48 +1000
TRIP REPORT  Dairy Swamp Tuggerah &, Tuggerah Lagoon & South Tacoma

On Saturday 7 April, I led a bird watching outing for the Central Coast branch of the National Parks Association, and even though there were only 6 people present, we had a good day. It was a great day for raptors, with a Nankeen Kestrel harassing a Grey Goshawk at the Dairy Swamp, where a White-breasted Sea-Eagle was seen and a Black-shouldered Kite was feeding over the long grass in the paddocks that surround the Swamp. At nearby Tuggerah Lagoon, an adult female Brown Goshawk was perched in a dead tree,overlooking the Lagoon; a Swamp Harrier was harassing the birds around the edge of the Lagoon, two different Sea Eagles cruised over the Lagoon and a Whislting Kite was patrolling too. An hour or so later we were at nearby South Tacoma where a male Collared Sparrowhawk darted through the treees and another Whistling Kite was patrolling.

Other birds of interest at the Dairy Swamp was an immature Double-banded Plover, seen the previous week; 3 small flocks of Topknot Pigeons totally 40+ birds all flying west; Cattle Egrets, Great Egrets & 2 Intermediate Egrets were amongst the waterbirds present, and Black Swans had commenced nesting. At Tuggerah Lagoon, there a few Tree Martins, and good views were had of Cisticolas, 2 Tawny Grassbirds & a party of Southern Emu-wrens, a lone Bellminer  was sighted in one of the trees around the Lagoon, where Black Ducks, Hardheads and Darters were the common birds.

We moved onto South Tacoma where a Buff-banded Rail was feeding at the edge of the road, 2 White-breasted Woodswallows could still be seen on the overhead wires, Bar-shouldered Doves fed along the track, Darters were feeding large young in the nests in trees along Wyong Creek, and a Caspian Tern fed around the lake edge. Lunch was taken at Woodbury Bridge, Wyong Creek where more Topknot Pigeons were seen and King Parrots and Straw-necked Ibis were added to our list. 78 species were seen for the morning.

Alan Morris
Central Coast FOC Group