birding-aus

Turquoise Parrots at Laughtondale

To: birding <>
Subject: Turquoise Parrots at Laughtondale
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:01:07 +1000
Hello Turk watchers,

I'm aware that wild Turquoise Parrots (TP) can have an orange patch on the belly although I haven't actually seen it myself. I just felt that the issue should be raised as I was surprised that Keith Brandwood would have misidentified them. This suggested to me that there may have been something odd about the birds. I''ve just taken a look at A Guide to Neophema and Psephotus.Their mutations, care and breeding, by Toby Martin (1989). The mutation that I was thinking of is called the Red-fronted. Males have a full red/orange front from the belly right up the chest. The females only have it on the belly. The breeding of mutations in the Neophema parrots seems to be becoming more common than the normal birds these days and if escapes were going to be seen there is a good chance that they are going to be mutations of some sort.

Anyway, its possibly a moot point as according to Edwin Vella they were very shy, so on behavioural grounds they may well have been wild birds.

It was just a thought.

Cheers,

Mick Todd

Michael Todd