* Binalong Bay (Bay of Fires, NE coast). Binalong Bay Character
Cottages; 03 6376 8262, Marion Thorn. Great up-market cabins, with
fantastic balcony views of gannets etc in the Bay of Fires! Note the
access is steep!
* Crayfish Creek (NW coast, near Rocky Cape NP). Caradale Caravan Park;
03 6443 4228, Carolyn Newall. Cabins set in good bushland. If more than
two of you, check out the Treehouse (two stories, with trees growing up
through the barbie decking). Hooded Plovers on adjacent beach. Note
though that it's a bit 'cheap and cheerful', and some mattresses needed
* Hobart. Bowen Park Holiday Village, Risdon Cove; 03 6243 9879, Greg
and Glenda. Just standard cabins, but good trees and birds, and
Long-nosed Potoroos apparently living under the cabins!
* Barmah Forest, (near Echuca). Dharnya Centre. Run by Parks Victoria
(or whatever they're called this week!) in cooperation with the Yorta
Yorta people. Basic rooms, but great kitchen area, and set right in the
world's biggest River Red Gum Forest! See also the good Kingfisher
Wetland (boat) Tours.
* Delegate River. DR Tavern; Val, 02 6458 8007. This is the most
convenient accommodation for the Errinundra plateau, but is good in its
own right. Try to get a cabin by the river, which has obliging platypus;
good birding in the grounds. Warning; no cooking facilities, but the
tavern is very friendly and does excellent meals. One of our tour
* Halls Gap, Gariwerd (Grampians). Boronia Peak Cabins; Lee, 03 5356
4500. Really superb cabins on the outskirts of town, fabulous views
upwards, and lots of birds in the dense native plantings all round the
* Healesville. Sanctuary House Motel; 03 5962 5148, Michael Dempsey. A
most unusual motel set completely in wet forest, just near the
Healesville Sanctuary. Saw Shrike-tit from the breakfast table!
* Lake Eildon. Golden Trout Motel; 03 5774 2508. Balconies overlooking
the lake, which has a good array of birds.
* Mallacoota. Adobe Flats; Peter Kurtz, 03 5158 0329. One of the best!
Extraordinary home-built mud-brick houses, totally 'green' in design and
operation; also very comfortable and very aesthetic. Completely planted
with natives, full of birds, and bush rats in the outdoor areas. Great
views out over Mallacoota Bay.
* Sale (Gippsland). Thomson River CP; 03 5144 1102. Cabins right by the
river. Just near the great Sale Common Wetlands.
See Frank O'Connor's site (above)
* Albany. (You probably won't need this, with Frank's recommendations,
but just in case? ) The Lilacs; 08 9841 2390. Very nice houses on
Princess Royal Harbour (!) on the road to Torndirrup NP.
* Margaret River. Bussell's Bushland Cottages; Greg, 08 9757 2292. If
you're an orchiholic (and we are) this is essential! And the owner is
very knowledgeable on orchids.
* Perth. Karrinyup Waters Resort; 08 9447 6665. A quiet and treed
caravan park, good cabins, with stream, pool and wetlands, good outdoor
cooking/eating area. Western Corellas.
* Stirling Ranges. SR Retreat; Tony and Ayleen Sands, 08 9827 9229. You
probably already know this one, but it IS a must. Warning; don't step on
Ian Fraser, Canberra
Environment Tours; Vertego Environmental Wordsmithing
GPO Box 3268, Canberra, ACT 2601
ph: 02 6249 1560 fax: 02 6247 3227
Birding-Aus is on the Web at
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message
"unsubscribe birding-aus" (no quotes, no Subject line)